How Do Mould and Mildew Affect One’s Health?

A mouldy house wall

You landed on this page probably because you’re starting to see mould and mildew build-up in some parts of your household and you’re wondering how it can affect your health. Indeed, the growth of these fungi is a threat to one’s overall well-being — not to mention the fact that it also damages one’s home.

These microorganisms grow in areas that are moist and dark, and with poor air quality. They spread seeds or spores that you may inhale. They may likewise come into contact with the skin.

One thing you can do to stop their growth is by waterproofing your home. Just see to it that you choose good-quality waterproofing and tiling supplies to ensure a positive outcome. Go to your favourite store in Sydney and get the best product for you.

Meanwhile, here are some symptoms caused by touching or inhaling mould and mildew:

Rashes and Other Kinds of Skin Irritation

Inhaling and touching mould or mildew can both lead to rashes or dermatitis. Too much exposure may also cause yeast infections; athlete’s foot; and burning sensations in the throat, eyes, nose, lungs, and skin. Over time, one’s sensitivity to moulds may increase especially if repeated exposure occurs.

Allergies

Inhaling too much mould and mildew may also lead to allergies. You may experience chronic coughing, sneezing, nausea, headache, and fatigue. In severe conditions, it may also result in asthma.

Cancer

Many people don’t pay much attention to the negative health effects of mould and mildew growth. But for your information, it can damage one’s organs and even cause cancer. This is due to its production of mycotoxins, substances that can damage the liver and nervous system and suppress the immune system’s activity.

As you have learned, exposure to mould and mildew can result in a wide array of negative health conditions. As a responsible homeowner, make sure to prevent or stop their growth before it affects your family and entire household.